99nicu... Your Forum in Neonatology!

Welcome to 99nicu, the web community for staff in neonatal medicine!

Become a member for full access to all features: get and give advice in the forums, start your own blog and enjoy benefits! Registration is free :) - click here to register!

Greetings from the 99nicu HQs

Francesco Cardona

When parents are rude in the NICU

6 posts in this topic

This is very true.

Also, keep in mind that rude criticism by senior MDs to junior staff during rounds has pretty much the same effect in impairing team performance.

@livesynapse I could not agree more about "within-team rudeness" - it is very contra-productive.

Maybe you were thinking of this publication (?): http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/136/3/487
(I cut and paste from the abstract below)

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Iatrogenesis often results from performance deficiencies among medical team members. Team-targeted rudeness may underlie such performance deficiencies, with individuals exposed to rude behavior being less helpful and cooperative. Our objective was to explore the impact of rudeness on the performance of medical teams.

CONCLUSIONS: Rudeness had adverse consequences on the diagnostic and procedural performance of the NICU team members. Information-sharing mediated the adverse effect of rudeness on diagnostic performance, and help-seeking mediated the effect of rudeness on procedural performance.

Rudeness parents on medical team members ,such situation  is somewhat  more often happened in my NICU.

I agree that rudness will affect our mood and expectations but this should not affect our performance . We are human beings but we are dealing with death and life .Maintaing professional behaviour at any circumstances is difficult but possoble

Wangyang, we find anger & rudeness occasionally, it is helpful to think of it as stress reaction behavior & a possible indication of PP depression in either or both parents. We are considering giving out the Acute Stress Disorder self scale along w/ other info on self care etc to our parents in hopes that it will help them reflect on their situation & find ways to help themselves.