JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

Want to join the discussions?

If you are a member already, log in!

(lost your password? reset it here)

99nicu.org 99nicu.org
Francesco Cardona

Anyone use hyperconcentrated platelet transfusions?

A question reaches us via Twitter by Susanna Fustolo-Gunnink:

Are there neonatal intensive care units in which hyperconcentrated platelet transfusions are administered? @EBNEO @ccroehr @DrCGale @NeonatalResearc @cwsbattersby @RizKhanahmed @TimWatts1964 @BSantamaria8 @drpaulclarke @Colin37377735

This is perhaps not the answer she was hoping for, but in her own multi center cohort study on bleeding risk and transfusion from 2017 there was at least one center that administered concentrated platelets ... 

• Like 1

Hi Bimalc

thanks for your reply. This is exactly why I am asking, we do have one center where hyperconcentrated platelets are administered, but need more data if we want to assess their effect on clinical outcomes. So I am hoping to find another 3 or 4 centers in which hyperconcentrated platelets are administered, so we can share our data, analyze the results and hopefully generate more reliable evidence regarding the efficacy of this product in neonates. 

• Like 2

I don’t work at that particular center, but I know they still use hyperconcentrated platelet transfusions, yes. I guess there is as little evidence for that strategy as there is for giving 15 ml/kg of the normal platelet transfusion product. So we hope to be able to learn from their experience and outcome data.

• Like 2