JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

Want to join the discussions?

If you are a member already, log in!

(lost your password? reset it here)

99nicu.org 99nicu.org

Hello, I am a NICU nurse in training and for my study I have an assignment. For this assignment I want information from as many NICU's as possible about priming the infusion sets before starting the insulin infusion. Does this happen in your NICU, and if so, how? Do you have protocols I can use?  Which concentrations are used and which flow rate 

• Upvote 2

@ChantalNICU thanks for posting! Wished I could share my own experience but it is very small... and now I work in a level-2 context.

Just wanted to share 1) the video from the 2019 Meetup (below), 2) the hyperglycemia protocol from Sydney (https://www.slhd.nsw.gov.au/RPA/neonatal/protocols.html) and 3) the Auckland insulin guideline (http://www.adhb.govt.nz/newborn/DrugProtocols/InsulinPharmacology.htm)

I can check with my level-3 colleagues in Stockholm after the summer vacation, if they have their own local guideline.

• Like 1

Interesting subject.

In Vienna, we prime insulin infusion systems before use. The insulin is prepared as ordered, we start off with 0.05-0.1 IE/kg/h. After 30min, the insulin in the infusion system is discarded and the same amount/dilution prepared with the same system before use.

Let me know if you need more information @ChantalNICU

• Thanks 1

Interesting Subject. And More literature than we would believe, including YouTube  Videos. We have primed a few years ago but we stopped  because non of our problems were resolved. Despite a lot of tricky literature there are to many variables (tube and line materials, Insulin measurment (Timing, method) wanted Insulin concentration, dont forget filters)... ..  to finde the right answer. Hard work for chantalnicu.😊

• Like 2