JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

Want to join the discussions?

If you are a member already, log in!

(lost your password? reset it here)

99nicu.org 99nicu.org

Babies with Perinatal asphyxia

thabit

Dear colleagues...

During my 28 years practice in neonatology ..i have noticed with growing evidence that babies who were asphyxiated perinatally are resistant to hyperbilirubinemia and also to sepsis..an impression that i would like to find any one sharing this experience with me..

thanks..waiting for your response

Dear colleagues...

... resistant to hyperbilirubinemia ...

I think that asphyxia with its accompanying hypoxia and acidosis will cause significant damage to the blood-brain barrier. Thereby reducing the threshold at which bilirubin will be able to cause brain damage. In other words we will have to be more aggressive in treating hyperbilirubinemia in babies with asphyxia plus hyperbilirubinemia.

Dear colleagues...

During my 28 years practice in neonatology ..i have noticed with growing evidence that babies who were asphyxiated perinatally are resistant to hyperbilirubinemia and also to sepsis..an impression that i would like to find any one sharing this experience with me..

thanks..waiting for your response

Dear colleague,

I agree with you for hyperbilirubinemia and sepsis, too. But bilirubin is the scavenger of oxidative stress and that could be the cause of that. Anyway, its interesting for some research.

sincerely Snjezana

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "resistant to hyperbilirubinaemia and sepsis" but I do know that a combination of asphyxia and hyperbilirubinaemia in the same baby is associated with a worse prognosis; same goes for perinatal asphyxia and sepsis and when the three conditions occur in one baby the outcome is even poorer.

Herbert Obu