JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

Want to join the discussions?

If you are a member already, log in!

(lost your password? reset it here)

99nicu.org 99nicu.org
Sign in to follow this  
kpsanghvi

Draegger babylog 8000 v/s SLE 5000

We are in a process of buying a hybrid ventilator (CMV + HFOV) for our NICU/PICU. We have narrowed our choice to the Draegger 8000 or SLE 5000. The only problem with the Babylog is that its high frequency does not support babies more than 3 kgs where as the SLE 5000 can take children upto 30 kgs. Does anyone has the experience and can advise.

Dr K P Sanghvi MD

Neonatologist

Prince Aly Khan Hospital

Mumbai

I have found the SLE 5000 to be a good ventilator when we evaluated it about a year ago. We found the cost of the flow sensor to be expensive though.

JM Gomez

Neonatologist

KK Hospital for Women and Children

Singapore

Guest Christ-jan van Ganzewinkel

We use both the Draeger and SLE in our unit. The main advantage of the Draeger is the excellent triggering mechanism with a very short trigger-delay. The main disadvantage of the Draeger is indeed the poor performance in HFV mode, however as this is used in our nicu only as rescue it is not much of a problem. The SLE is a very good machine, suitable for every mode of ventilation you would want to use. Problems we have had are the default setup which defines a triggering threshold that is way to high (2.0 l/min), and on a regular basis we have problems with discrepancies between set and measured pressures. Another problem (in our case) is that the SLE comes with the Fisher & Paykel humidifier. The latest version of this humidifier is preset at 39 - 2 degrees, which leads to problems with condensation, even with heated in- and expiration circuits.

Kind regards

Christ-jan van Ganzewinkel

Nurse Practitioner

Máxima Medical Centre

Veldhoven, The Netherlands

Hi Dr. Sanghavi,

I have used all three types of high frequency ventilators. Babylog, SLE 5000 and sensormedics. If you are mainly interested in full term nuborns with PPHN the best bet is Sensor medics. If you were interested in preterm newborns with severe respiratory failure then Babylog is better because there is an option to secure volume ventilation also with babylog 8000 to best of my knowledge. Sensormedics is availale in India and is being used by KEM and DM in Pune, successfully.

Sincerely,

Nitin Chouthai, MD, MRCP(UK), FAAP

Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics

Division of Neonatology

Children's Hospital of Michigan, USA

Our experience with Babylog 8000+ is not bad. Yet it is not as powerful as sensormedics and SLE 5000 in the HFV mode

We use the Babylog 8000+ in our unit. We care for mainly the very, very small and find that this works well. Another thing that makes us happy with this ventilator is that it allows for the infant to come out for Kangaroo Care with the parents, an important consideration for us.

Thanks

elizabeth macmillan-york

RN

Sunnybrook

toronto, Canada

We use babylog 8000plus, HFV mode mainly for preterm babies, and sometimes term babies up to 4 Kg. If you are going to buy hybrid vent to be used in both NICU and PICU, i don't think that babylog 8000plus is a good choice.

Regards

Ayman Abu Mehrem, MD

Assistant Consultant Neonatologist

King Abdulaziz Natioanl Guard Hospital

Al-Ahsa

Saudi Arabia

Thanks to all of you

We have bought a Babylog 8000 plus. Shall trouble you again if I am in trouble.

Regards

K P Sanghvi

• Upvote 1

We have the SLE 5000 and the Babylog 8000 Plus. We have noticed that the sensibility of the sensor of flow of the Babylog is bigger and quicker, the volume tidal of 0,2 ml allows to use it with smaller babies, of something more than 300 grams, its initial calibration is quicker, but the graphic interface is not very friendly, the sensor of flow is very delicate (it has already been damaged twice) and its substitution is very expensive. On the other hand, the SLE 5000 have a much friendlier graphic interface, their sensor of flow it is more resistant and their substitution is less expensive, but its sensibility is something smaller, the volume minimum tidal is bigger, of 0,3 ml, and its initial calibration is longer. In the two machines we have the inconvenience of the excessive accumulation of liquid in the circuit due to the condensation of the humidity with the Fisher & Paykel humidifier.

Regards

Fernando Agama C.

Guest Antares

Check if the Maquet Servo-i is available where you are. It's an excellent hybrid ventilator that can be used from premature neonate to adult. That being said, I've never seen it used for high-frequency ventilation. We always switch to the sensormedics HFOV when HF ventilation is needed.

Thanks a lot for your advices and consideration about the SLE 5000 and Babylog 8000. It will be helpful to me, because we are in process of expanding our NICU from 16 boxes to 21, and we have to buy eight new hybrid vent.

From our experience if you want some machine with HFOV ,SLE 5000 is better than Drager 8000 plus.I have used both the machine,Drager is really very good machine for conventional ventilation for extreme premature babies,but not do well with bigger babies.

we are having drager baby log ventilator with us , we had one  issue , for which we from bio medical engineering dept is still unable to answer it out.

the issue is when we connect the ventilator with test lung all the parameters is showing ok , and  the test lung is also inflating and deflating properly, but when we connect it to the patient then the lungs of the patient was not inflating ,and also the saturation of the patient was going down, then our doctors did  Ambu for some time, the saturation went up , but as soon we leave ambu or connect to the ventilator, saturation was down.

Engineer from drager is claiming that if with test lung every thing is ok , then there must be some clinical reason with the patient.

please help me out in this case.

santanu roy

Biomedical Engineer 

I would agree with dragger ,in that if the test lungs are working ,then the machine is probably o.k. one possible explanation is that the pressure /mode used for the patient may not be appropriate for the patient.It might be a good idea to check the pressures of the bag and mask ventillation provided with a manometer ,to get an approximation of the pressures required.

The inspiratory time ,fio2 , and the flow can all be altered on the machine ,and depending on the patient's condition,may need adjustments. Hope this helps .keep us posted,if you have found anything else.

Regards

Dr.Ajay Menon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk