JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

Want to join the discussions?

If you are a member already, log in!

(lost your password? reset it here)

99nicu.org 99nicu.org

Neonatal Pain - Suffering, Pain and Risk of Brain Damage in the Fetus and Newborn

ali

Neonatal Pain - Suffering, Pain and Risk of Brain Damage in the Fetus and Newborn (ed Buonocore & Bellieni) 2008

This book offers up a wide ranging selection of topics, from intrauterine biochemical markers of stress, the experinces of fetal stress, through to an overview of the risk factors for brain damage. Each chapter in itself is relatively brief in the discussion matter, but in recognition of this the every chapter is underpinned by a wealth of references to current literature on the subject matter. This in turn reassure the reader that it is within their reach to widen their knowledge base if they so wish.

The multi professional approach means that this is a book one is able to access from a given professional point of view. For myself as a neonatal nurse I naturally gravitated initially to a chapter on pain assessment and one on neonatal pain control. Clearly written and presented these chapters explored the recognised pharmacological and non-pharmacological adjuncts available to the neonatal team.

Readers with an obstetric, midwifery or gynaecological interest would, I feel sure, access the book from those chapters within their professional remit, such as 'Gonadal Hormones and Pain Modulation' as well as 'Pain Control during Labour'. To the editors and authors credit every chapter carries the reader through the salient points with a clear logical progression.

I commend any book that maintains the profile of fetal and neonatal pain and suffering, whilst gently challenging the reader to reflect upon personal current practices within their own discipline. As such this book would act as a good point of reference on both a neonatal unit or delivery suite.

post-1056-138280840416_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...