JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

Want to join the discussions?

If you are a member already, log in!

(lost your password? reset it here)

99nicu.org 99nicu.org

treatment in scelerema

selvanr4

When the neonate presents with scelerema the prognosis is guarded.Do you treat with antibiotics, FFP ,IV gamma or with exchange transfusion?

We recently admitted 2 noenates with septic shock who presented with scelerema witin 36 hrs after birth.

Bactec c&s grew organism and hence antibiotics were started along with ionotroes. Both of them went downhill and while the were on ventilator, Double volume exchange was done. It helped both the babies.

Please share your views

dr.selvan

Erode. India

• 4 weeks later...

In my oppinion, i prescribe antibiotics, prothrombin time and parcial tromboplastyn time correction, also Na and K deficiencys, albuminum transfusion depends off the plasma levels. Usually, i don't recommend ETT because those babies has a vascular and perfusion stroke, and i try to shared this paper...

STATE-OF-THE-ART

Sclerema neonatorum: a review of nomenclature, clinical

presentation, histological features, differential diagnoses

and management.

Journal of Perinatology (2008) 28, 453–460

Sclerema in a neonate is a frustating end results if we pick up early as it first appears on the cheek decends down with good appropriate iv antibiotics will improve where overwheming sepsis with sclerema may get some benificial effort fron ET again an risky invasive procedure.Are these babies are premies??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...