JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

Want to join the discussions?

If you are a member already, log in!

(lost your password? reset it here)

99nicu.org 99nicu.org

weaning from cpap

Guest afaf

Hi everybody

I want to ask if there is an optimal or cutoff level of FiO2 after which I can remove nasal cpap to headbox or incubator O2 .

afaf korraa

prof of pediatrics and neonatology

According to our recent study published in Early Human Development this year. We do not recommend weaning from nCPAP until the baby is stable on room air. We no longer wean to Nasal Cannula as this increases O2 exposure and prolongs the duration of weaning. Also we avoid cycling the babies on CPAP a method of weaning.

thank you Dr. stefan and Dr. hesham. I never put my weaned patients on NC after cpap ,but I read many articles about this technique.

afaf korraa

Head of NICU

Al Azhar University

Edited by afaf
repitition

Hi Stefan,

I noted from one of your earlier posts that you take ncpap pressures down to 2cm, working on an functional residual capacity of about 4cm are your infants not already in a self supported state?

Regards

Alistair

...ncpap pressures down to 2cm, ...are your infants not already in a self supported state?

That's probably why it usually works to wean to 2 cm. The majority of patients with nCPAP in our unit is preterm and we have the impression that this strategy also helps to control apneas.

But of course, infants with stable breathing on 2 cm are with no or little oxygen need are usually - we generally take the cpap off, and only add supplemental oxygen IF needed.

@ali, to what pressure do you wean before trying without cpap?