JOIN THE DISCUSSION!

Want to join the discussions?

If you are a member already, log in!

(lost your password? reset it here)

99nicu.org 99nicu.org

May I ask whether anyone has experience with a prolonged hanging time of a parenteral nutrition (PN) bag (incl lipids) of up to 48h?

We are probably changing our PN regimen into an all-in-one bag. Since the bag contains >400 mL, it would suffice for most premature infants for 2 days. One strategy could thus be to prolong hang time from 24h to 48h to cut PN costs by half.

A recent Australian study (attached) also suggests this would be a feasible approach: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23320598

Since our pharmacy will do all additions to the bag in an aseptic environment, including connection and filling the line, I think it could be an attractive solution. Also there is an air-filled dripping chamber in the line, so there exists no continuous fluid-filled connection from the patient to the PN-bag. On the other hand, the line would be in place for 48h as well, so this could form a potential risk.

We must be sure it is a safe approach though…

What are your thoughts and experiences on this matter?

Thank you so much,

best wishes,

Chris van den Akker, neonatologist

Amsterdam UMC, the Netherlands

• Like 2

This is indeed a valid question - I have also thought this myself, We also change every 24 hours BTW. Thanks for sharing that paper, was not aware of it. 

Would be great to bring this question into a research context (i.e. like large collaborative observational study, presumably with historical controls + some experimental "sham" work). I'd be in such an project :)

• Like 1

Yes, NICU I work in UK, we do use the PN bags for 48hrs and each time they are changed aseptically.